Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Keeping up with the Stewarts or the Homeless



I always get a little weeping around the holidays. It happens every year. Since I was little, I've dreamed of these amazing family holidays like the ones we see on television, especially Thanksgiving. My family has never been big on traditions and all the "fancy" stuff when it comes to celebrating anything. I can not remember a single Thanksgiving growing up where a meal was had around the dinner table together as a family. Dinner was prepared and then my mom would announce that it was ready and on the stove whenever we wanted it.



Once I became an adult, I encouraged all of us to have more family functions and share these occasions together. It still consisted of paper plates, sweatpants  and TV trays, but we were together for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

Over time they started to come fewer and further between. Now we are to the point of having no family dinners together. It really makes me sad. Every 3rd commercial on TV is showing that picture perfect family sitting around the table, dress for the occasion, passing the gravy and enjoying each others company. It's an event to look forward to. I may never have that again.



When the holidays start to approach I fall into that dark place of comparing my holidays to those like Martha Stewart has. Why can't we be like that? Why does another holiday have to pass that I can't have my son here? Why can't we just pretend for one day that everything is perfect.



But this morning, driving to work, I had my Ah Ha moment! I was thinking about all the joy that my work with the homeless brings me. It keeps me humble and so grateful for all that God has given me. Then I thought, if I compare my life and my holidays to those that the homeless have, they are pretty fantastic! So, if I change my focus to that instead of all these commercialized fantasies, my whole perspective changes.



It's all about the angle that you look at things. I intend to work to keep my blinders on and stay focused on what I do have instead of what I don't this season.  It could always be worse.

So this year, I am thankful that I have family, friends, my health, a warm bed, plenty of food and last but not least, a loving and forgiving God.

What are you thankful for this year?


Until next time- safe picking!

Take those lemons and try this Martha Stewart recipe with them-

Glazed Lemon Pound Cake 

Glazed Lemon Pound Cake

Ingredients

  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
  • 3/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus finely grated zest of 2 lemons, plus more for garnish (optional)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Dust with sugar, and tap out excess; set aside. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir together 1 tablespoon lemon juice and the milk.
  2. Put butter and 3/4 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in eggs and zest. Working in two batches, alternate mixing in flour mixture and milk mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, stir together remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Upon removing cake from oven, immediately brush with lemon glaze. Let cake cool in pan 10 minutes. Unmold cake. Brush remaining glaze on top. Garnish with zest.
 Courtesy:
http://www.marthastewart.com/336499/glazed-lemon-pound-cake



No comments:

Post a Comment