Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Devilish Tongue

Words can be one of the most deadliest weapons available. A few words can destroy someones self esteem for life. A few words can plant the seed of doubt and make the most confident person second guess what they know to be true.

The devil can plant these words in the mouths of those all around us, and even those we love and admire. Your closest friend, a family member or even a total stranger can rock your mind if the devil takes over.

I have become a huge fan of Joel Olsteen. I spend much of my time in the car listening to his
broadcast. I love his upbeat and positive teaching of God's word. Like most things in life, when we discover something we love we want to share it with others.

I have told several friends and acquaintances about my secret to changing small things throughout my day that make for a happier life. In sharing, I had one person who questioned if this was the highly criticized pastor that was being ridiculed on the Internet. Another person, after listening a few times, said it was not for them and felt like he was just speaking and not preaching.

It's human nature to want to be accepted. When we love something it is just confirmation of ourselves when other people enjoy those things as well. I found for weeks after hearing these simple comments it changed the way I absorbed his teachings. I started to question what I was listening to. I almost had a feeling like I was being scammed by Joel.

I do want to point out that I ,in no way, think the people behind these comments meant any harm to me. At this point I doubt they would even recall these comments. I believe that was the tongue of the devil that was slipped into a non suspecting soul to derail me from learning more about my most high God.

I was tempted on several occasions to go to the world wide web to find out exactly what Joel was hiding from me. I caught myself being embarrassed for listening to him. You know that feeling when
you are alone and you secretly binge watch episodes of Saved by the Bell? You would be so uncool if someone caught you because that's not what is popular now.

I am not certain of the exact moment that I had an epiphany but I did. It occurred to me that what I was gaining from listening had changed me for the better. I felt closer to God than I had in a long time because of the changes I was making that were inspired by Joel. I was not causing harm to anyone else with my private worship in my car.

So why would I let anything that might be someones opinion on the Internet take that away from me. I knew if I started to look for some dirt I would find some. Lets face it, you can find negative publicity for just about any public figure. Even if there was truth to any of these rumors, I am not in charge of dolling out consequences and punishment.

I made the decision right then that I would continue what I was doing. Those nay sayers  taught me something though. Now I try to identify the source when negativity swarms me and know that the devil is working overtime to put a stop to my time with God.

I also learned that it just as easily could have been me with a devilish tongue that left my audience with a blanket of doubt on them. I know I am not perfect and will lose control of my tongue at some point, but hopefully just being more aware will prevent it from happening too often.



If you are interested in listening to Joel and hearing an inspiring message you can catch him on XM/Sirius channel 128.

If you find that it's not for you, please just change the channel and do not voice your dislike. You never know who is listening around you.

Until nest time- Safe Picking
Tammy

Please feel free to share on your social media pages as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment